I took a course to have a better understanding of drones and their design. At the end of the course there was a test question that I got wrong and I would like to understand why.
I was supposed to select the choices that best describe SLAM.
and the possible answers were:
- Estimates the location of features in the environment?
- Controls the robot's flight through the environment?
- Causes the robot to avoid obstacles in the environment?
- Navigate in a cluttered environment?
- Estimates the position and orientation of the robot with respect to the environment?
At first I knew that at least 3 and 4 were right because I watched a drone doing these things. I also thought that the last answer was linked to these two so I said yes to it too. Finally, I thought that the only thing that was still controlled by the user would be the flight...
Yet I failed again... Therefore what does Simultaneous Localization And Mapping (SLAM) software do?