I am a doing my FYP in drone swarm anti collision algorithm.
The project aims to develop an algorithm to fly a minimum of 3 drones and here are the requirements:
- 1-the drones can identify the position of the other swarm members and keep a distance (anti collision) between them and the adjacent drone.
- The drones are to fly in different orientations like a horizontal formation or a vertical one.
- The drones are to fly together as a swarm and either maintain the flight formation during the flight or reposition after reaching destination.
- The swarm is to adjust the distance between its members autonomously as in (every drone calculates the distance to its neighboring drone and plan its action position itself accordingly based on a preprogrammed distance
I just started and my first step is to find a method for each drone to calculate the distance between it and the next drone. I have been doing research and I found out that (Ad-hoc networking) gives the ability to calculate the distance between two nodes using the strength of the Wi-Fi signal. However, I could not find a proper research paper to identify how to use that system in a drone swarm and how to obtain the data to be used in the calculations.
so my question is: Is using ad-hoc network the way to go in this project or is there a better method? and in addition, how to actually implement it n a drone swarm, i.e. what type of sensors to use?
To emphasize it more, what is the best reasonable method for a drone swarm to have the ability to locate its members and measure/keep a distance between its members?
Additional information about my project:
- The project aims to implement the algorithm in a real 3 drone swarm system. However, due to budget issues the project might end up being only a simulation.
- There are a lot of missing variables in the information I provided , such as: how to control each swarm (each drone individually or leader/follower method), what type of drone/controller/autopilot to use, and other things I can't think of yet. However, my concern at the moment is to identify the method for the swarm to keep a certain distance between them thus having some sort of method to locate each drone in position and distance from the adjacent drone.
- I will have more follow up questions as I proceed in the project
- I am doing Final year Mechatronics Engineering