Navigation is a field of study that focuses on the process of monitoring and controlling the movement of a craft or vehicle from one place to another. Robot navigation includes exploration, mapping, localization, path planning and path execution
- exploration: the strategy that guides the robot to select the next direction to go
- mapping: the construction of a spatial representation by using the sensory information perceived.
- localization: the strategy to estimate the robot position within the spatial map
- path planning: the strategy to find a path towards a goal location being optimal or not
- path execution: where motor actions are determined and adapted to environmental changes.