As I see there is a huge price gap between the two \$223 vs \$99 (at amazon).
My intention is to use one of those from Ubuntu linux to perform depth sensing, navigation etc. and naturally I prefer the cheaper. However I am not sure if I miss some important point while betting on the Kinect for Xbox version.
As it seems the Windows version is overpriced because it has the license for development. Here it is stated that there are internal differences but without exact details (The minimum sensing distance seems to be better for Windows version.).
Could anyone give a comparison chart? It would be good to know about
- Connectivity: USB, special connector, ... .
- Hardware differences: are they the same or do they really differ in weight, energy consumption, speed, sensing range, ...?
- Driver: could I use Xbox version under Ubuntu?
- API usage: could I develop on Xbox version, could I use the same/similar API on both, is the API for Xbox mature enough?
- License: is it against the license of Xbox version to develop for home/hobby/educational use?