can anyone identify this switch type, please? I've been looking all day at various websites. I'm just looking for a very simple touch sensor, and this seems ideal

photo of switch

  • $\begingroup$ looks like it is custom made for a specific application ... it is similar to switch contacts in a mechanical washing machine timer .... the plastic tab on top would be operated by a cam ... your question is an XY type question ... you are asking for help with what you believe to be a solution to an unspecified problem .... please ask about the problem that you are trying to solve $\endgroup$ – jsotola Dec 19 '20 at 20:42
  • $\begingroup$ the robot I'm working on drives along a rail. I want to detect when it hits the end. it's a light robot so the switch needs to be easily-actuated, like with a levered micro-switch. a detector switch woould be ideal if I could mount them easily, but I'm using a 3d-printed chassis, so easier to choose a switch type that I can screw in place, like the pictured one. if the pictured one is not something I can buy a load of, I'll just stick with levered micro-switches (unless, as you suggest, I'm solving the problem incorrectly) $\endgroup$ – Kae Verens Dec 19 '20 at 21:20
  • $\begingroup$ another thing I like about the pictured switch apart from the easy actuation, is that it's flexible, so can "give" a little if the button is pressed beyond simple contact. $\endgroup$ – Kae Verens Dec 19 '20 at 21:26
  • $\begingroup$ I will stick with levered micro-switches then, thanks :-) $\endgroup$ – Kae Verens Dec 19 '20 at 21:37
  • $\begingroup$ thanks. I have a few optical sensors here, and did consider that (or lasers and a photoresistor) but thought that might complicate the environment. I'm trying to create a simple robot (and track) that can be easily replicated. $\endgroup$ – Kae Verens Dec 20 '20 at 10:20

It looks like a leaf switch. A search on AliExpress for "leaf switch" and sort by price gave me this

  • $\begingroup$ Ayyy that's it! Great find! $\endgroup$ – Chuck Jan 21 at 14:54
  • $\begingroup$ that's the one :-) $\endgroup$ – Kae Verens Jan 26 at 12:57

Looks like a broken limit switch. Something like this https://www.zencnc.com/product/limit-switch/

  • $\begingroup$ no, that is not broken .... microswitches look different inside $\endgroup$ – jsotola Dec 20 '20 at 17:37
  • $\begingroup$ @jsotola - If you've got an answer, please post it as an answer so OP can accept it. $\endgroup$ – Chuck Jan 19 at 18:13
  • $\begingroup$ @Chuck I do not know the name of that switch type ... I have seen that switch type before and the one in the picture looks like an unbroken one ... I have also disassembled various microswitches for cleaning purposes and all of them had snap action mechanisms that included coil springs and cantilevers $\endgroup$ – jsotola Jan 19 at 19:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.