I'm facing the problem of model calibration for a large-scale manipulator (e.g. example image) with a half-spherical workspace of around 40m diameter.
The typical approach would be computer vision, which is difficult in this case due to:
- large scale and therefore huge distance to cameras,
- only possible outdoors, where the sunlight might be a problem.
- calibration of 5-6 cameras takes some time, the measurement should be finished in one day.
So my ideas are the following:
- use triangulation of radio frequency signals (e.g. RF position sensor
- use extra IMUs
- develop a sensor fusion scheme, like kalman filter
I want to ask you for alternative approaches, expected accuracy of RF position sensors without sensor fusion, problems with RF reflections (the manipulator is constructed from steel) or any other input.
thanks in advance!