I have an old powered wheelchair motor from a Hoveround. I have removed the gearbox and I would like to attach a lawnmower blade directly to the shaft.

As you can see from the photo, it has 7 helical splines. Am I correct in assuming that I need a helical splined hub to mesh with it, which would either have a threaded shaft on the other side to hold the mower blade, or a method by which a threaded shaft can be connected?

If that's not the name of the part I need, what would it be? I've looked at many stores (McMaster, Servo City, etc) but can't seem to find something like this, which makes me think I am calling it the wrong thing.

FYI, the motor specs are:

  • Brand: Shihlin
  • Type: A9Y1X02872
  • Part #: M19004442
  • 24V DC

Thanks for any help.

Helical splined rod



That looks like a helical pinion to me, rather than a splined shaft. It should mesh with a helical gear in the gearbox.

So either you mesh it with a suitable gear (I can't tell enough from a photo to specify what, but the corresponding gearbox will obviously contain one), or hard-turn it down in a lathe and key it to take something else.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.