Searching for electronic gyros doesn't turn up what I am after. Rather than an instrument to measure rotation, what I want is a device that I can mount in a flying machine, where I can apply a certain moment in order to have the flying machine react with the opposite moment in order to control attitude. A classic physical gyroscope behaves like this, but I am unsure if there are any available with electronic controls.

Is there a name for such devices, that I can Google for?

To clarify, this isn't asking for a product recommendation, just want to know if such a thing exists and what it would be called.


1 Answer 1


The device you describe is known as a Control Moment Gyroscope (CMG). These devices are mostly used for attitude control in spacecraft, but are also commercially available.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.